Top 10 Anti Theft Travel Purses
This post contains affiliate links. See About Us for more information.
The last thing you want to deal with when enjoying a lovely vacation is getting your stuff stolen. The good news is that travel is quite safe and you are unlikely to have any problems. Nevertheless it is a good idea to be prepared with a few safety precautions and a good anti theft bag.
The best anti theft travel purse is a cross body bag that you wear close to your body and can hold with your hands when in crowded places. A more theft proof purse will also have added features like slash proof fabrics, locking zippers and RFID panels.
Top 10 Anti Theft Travel Purse
Are you looking for the perfect travel purse? Here are some of our suggestions for the best anti theft travel bags and theft proof purse for your next vacation.
Travelon Anti Theft Bags
Travelon sells a wide assortment of handy items for traveling. One of their most popular items is the Travelon anti theft bags. Travelon purses come in many different colors and fabrics but most are neutral and can be worn with a variety of outfits.
What makes Travelon crossbody bags theft proof?
- Slash resistant materials means someone cannot cut the strap of your bag or slice the bottom
- Clasp attachment allows you to hook the strap to your chair or a pole to prevent snatch and grab at a cafe or on public transit
- RFID blocking panels protect the electronic data on your passport and cards
- Plenty of zippered compartments, some with included locks
Travelon purses come in many sizes and shapes but here are some of the most popular.
This Travelon Anti-Theft Bucket Bag is super spacious with room for extra clothing, water bottles and even a DSLR camera. It comes in several colors, like this pewter, black and purple. Check here to compare prices and see more colors.
Another roomy purse is the Anti-Theft Signature 3 Compartment Crossbody. There is enough space for your wallet, a camera, extra clothes, makeup and more. I love the red color but it also comes in navy blue, tan, gray and other colors. Click here to purchase.
The Travelon Classic Messenger is a popular choice and has simple sleek styling that will compliment many outfits. It is also on the large side and has an extra mesh pocket for a water bottle which comes in handy when sightseeing in warm weather. The magnetic flap pocket is a nice feature and it also comes with a lock when you need extra security. Find it here.
If you are looking for something a bit smaller, check out the Travelon Classic Convertible Crossbody. It can be worn as a waistpack as well, or the straps can be detached and the whole thing carried in a larger tote or backpack if needed. This size is ideal for those who like to travel light, and it fits a smart phone, passport, cash, cards and a few other essentials. Check out more colors and find the latest price here.
Another small bag that will add a bit of spice to your look is this cute Travelon crossbody bag in leopard print. The anti theft cross body bag comes in both blue and purple. If you are looking for a small anti theft purse this could be the one. Click here for more info and to purchase it.
Pacsafe Anti Theft Purses
Pacsafe also makes many versions of theft proof bags, and most of them come in different colors to match any outfit.
What makes a Pacsafe purse theft proof?
- Steel mesh and wires embedded in the material means someone cannot cut the strap of your bag or slice the bottom
- Clasp attachment allows you to hook the strap to your chair, table or a pole to prevent snatch and grab
- RFID blocking pockets protect the electronic data on your passport and cards
- Plenty of zippered compartments, the outside ones latch shut
Pacsafe purses come in many sizes, colors and shapes. Here are some of the most popular.
The Pacsafe Citysafe CS75 is a medium sized cross body bag that comes in several colors including black, teal and this cranberry shade. The purse is large enough to carry a DSLR but probably won’t fit anything else. Or you can use it to tote your cash and cards plus a bottle of water and assorted accessories. Click here to see the other colors.
If you are looking for something on the smaller side to carry the essentials, the Pacsafe Metrosafe LS140 is a good choice. You can fit sunglasses, wallet and even an e-reader or iPad mini in this anti theft cross body bag. It comes in several colors to match any outfit. Click here to see the latest price.
This Pacsafe purse is a bit larger than the one above, and can fit a DSLR inside. It also has a front pocket that is covered by the flap where you can store valuables you need to access more often. In the back of this Pacsafe Metrosafe LS200 you’ll find a sleeve for an iPad mini or tablet. It comes in this red, tan, blue or black. Buy it here.
Travelon vs Pacsafe
While the two companies produce bags with many of the same features, there are a few differences between Travelon and Pacsafe bags. In general Pacsafe bags are more unisex, so if you are traveling with a male companion you can both carry the bag without it appearing too much like a ladies purse. Some of the Pacsafe purses look a bit like camera bags to me.
With that in mind, some of the Travelon purses are more feminine or classy, so if you are looking for something stylish as well as practical you may prefer Travelon vs Pacsafe.
Of course there are negatives about both brands. While Travelon and Pacsafe both make sturdy bags, some owners complain about issues with stitching, tears and zippers falling apart after a few months. Read reviews carefully and note the information about returns, repairs and exchanges before you buy.
Lewis N Clark Anti Theft Travel Bags
This Lewis N Clark Secura has plenty of zipper protected pockets for all your belongings, as well as slash proof metal mesh fabric and strap. The card slots are RFID protected as well.
If you are looking for something a little larger, the Lewis N Clark Secura Satchel also has the slash proof mesh fabric and strap, locking zippers and RFID protected internal pockets. This anti theft travel purse comes in blue and black colors. Check here for pricing and to compare the models.
Anti Theft Safety Tips
Here are some travel safety tips that you should keep in mind to prevent getting pickpocketed or robbed:
- Packing light is not just to spare you from carrying a lot of extra stuff, it’s a safety tip! Nothing says rob me like a person struggling with several large overstuffed bags, even if one of them is the perfect anti theft travel purse.
- Only take the essentials with you when out sightseeing. Usually you can leave your passport, extra cash and most of your cards in a secure location at the hotel. If not, it can be smart to carry these items in different places on your body, not all in one bag.
- Keep your wits about you when in public spaces. Don’t chat on your phone when walking alone, don’t put your bag down next to you and turn away to talk to someone or look out of the window of a bus or train. Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep your bag securely closed. Drawstring bags and purses with flaps can easily be opened, and surprisingly you might not notice someone unzipping your purse if you are distracted.
- A purse carried over one shoulder can be easy to snatch and run away with. Even worse, some thieves will ride up on a moped and snatch your purse off your shoulder and drive off. Don’t walk next to the road in the same direction of traffic.
- Don’t put your bag down on the floor when you sit at a restaurant, bar or cafe. Always keep it on your body. You can slide the crossbody strap over your head so that it goes around your waist, then put the bag in your lap or in your chair.
- Depending on where you travel it can be unwise to show your flashy smartphone or DSLR camera in public. Look around and see what others are doing. Definitely don’t leave your phone in your back pocket or in an open pocket in your purse in a crowded public place. It is very easy to quickly grab it.
- A number one safety tip is to always try to look like a local or appear confident as much as you can. That means planning your route ahead of time so you aren’t wandering lost. Research how to use public transit ticket machines and which subway lines you need to take before you are in the crowded station. The less you look like a lost, distracted and confused target the better. If you find yourself in a sketchy situation where you don’t know where you are headed, try to walk confidently and with purpose to appear like you aren’t confused. Thieves look for an easy mark.
If you will be traveling to places that are known for pickpockets, you can also supplement your anti theft cross body bag with a hidden money belt or safety pouch for travelling where you hold your most precious items like your passport, extra cash and credit cards.
I hope you find a theft proof purse that will match your style and safely carry your belongings. Enjoy your travels!
Posts you might also like: